Thursday, September 27, 2012

What's God's will for you?

For this is the will of God, your sanctification. 1 Thessalonians 4:3
   -J.C. Ryle

What is sanctification? To set apart for sacred use. To make holy; purify.  In Greek, it’s Hagiazo. It pretty much means the same thing in English: to consecrate, dedicate, purify.

This is what the Christians life’s journey is all about, sanctification.
In any and all circumstances we should be mindful and even somewhat tremble as God is doing his work in us.

In the midst of my study this morning, part of James 1:27 came to mind… “to keep oneself unstained from the world.” I pondered on that for a while and then I began to cross reference. Along the way I stumbled upon “For this is the will of God, your sanctification”.

Did I already know this? Yes, but it was different reading it on the page today. It seemed so clear and distinct. So simple.

How often is knowing the will of God complicated? The idea and truth of it has often been twisted and complicated. I know it to be used often for people’s own personal fleshly benefit more so than spiritual. Indeed sanctification comes through life experience and the Lord may use something earthly like marriage or parenthood (which is a benefit so to speak to our flesh) to sanctify us. However when we look for God’s will to be of some worldly gain, we’ve missed it.

Nothing matters more to the Holy Spirit; than that God’s elect is fruitful.

Oh Heavens, Hear my voice
Wash my tainted heart
You are faithful and true
Make me more like You.  

P.S. I have much more to write to you about Jm 1:27, but later. Grace & Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment